0923. Blockhouse Jail

Built in the of winter 1864-65 to strengthen the fort's defenses, this hexagonal stone building contained a powder magazine, two levels of rifle slits or loopholes, an underground passageway, and well. However, it was not needed for defense, so it was converted in 1867 into a guardhouse. The original structure was dismantled around 1900 by civilian owners who used its sandstone blocks to build other structures.