Throughout 1868 the commissary storehouse, like the quartermaster storehouse, remained crowded with supplies for the post and for passing troops. Insufficient storage persisted into 1869, even though the new commissary storehouse was completed. It remained necessary to store ammunition in the commissary, an unsafe condition, in the absence of a magazine. This was where the weapons, rounds of ammunition, and gunpowder were stored. These included cartridges, for both the infantry and cavalry stationed here, as well as rounds and accouterments for the artillery. An Ordnance Sergeant supervised this area.