Each of the one-story buildings accommodated two captains and four lieutenants. The captain’s quarters were at the ends of the buildings and had two rooms, a kitchen, and servant’s room. Lieutenants had a room each with no kitchen. In 1870 wooden lean-to structures were added at the rear of each providing kitchens and servant space.
The two-story structure was the post’s only single-family residence. It housed the fort’s highest ranking officer. Its four large rooms were separated by a central hallway, kitchen, and upstairs servants’ quarters. Maj. Meredith Kidd and his family were the first to occupy the house.