0937. Mail Station

Fort Larned was originally established to protect mail coaches along the Santa Fe Trail.  The station was, in effect, the first post office in the area, though the post commander wrote in 1869, “Only one [load of] mail per week arrives and departs at this post.”  In 1863, the mail station moved to the Old Sutler Store