The post sutler was a merchant or trader licensed by the Army to sell goods on military land. Food, clothing, tobacco, and personal items were available here in the original sutler’s store. When completed in 1863, it was the first sandstone building on post. It was used until the post closed in 1878. This second sutler’s store, built of wood framing, provided a restaurant, general store, recreation hall, billiards, and a one-lane bowling alley for military and civilians.