1017. Independence Courthouse Square

In its early days, mercantile stores, hotels, banks, blacksmith shops, and saloons     constituted this nucleus of commerce that outfitted westward travelers who funneled from across the eastern United States to this square then “jumped off” westbound into the so-called Great American Desert.

Though it has evolved over time, the Courthouse Square maintains its charm, and has been used since 1827.The moniker building in the middle has connections to U.S. President Harry S Truman, and found within it are remnants of earlier courthouse structures dating to 1836.

--

Truman Courthouse

Winding the Clock on the Independence: Jackson County’s Historic Truman Courthouse is available in the courthouse at the Jackson County Historical Society or online.