317. Council Oak

Map of Council Grove, Council Oak

Beneath this tree on August 10, 1825, US Commissioners and Chiefs of the Great and Little Osage tribes signed a treaty to establish the right-of-way for the Santa Fe Trail across Osage lands. It was at that time that Commissioner George Sibley named this site “Council Grove,” which became the name of the town later founded here. The tree was destroyed in a 1958 wind storm and its stump has been preserved in place.

Council Oak

Read the exhibit