Located on the north side in the Santa Fe Historic District Plaza, the adobe structure of the Palace of the Governors was built in 1610 by the governor of the Spanish Territory, Pedro de Peralta.
Until the 20th century, it was the Governor’s residence, and included official offices, military barracks, stables, servant quarters, an arsenal, and gardens, which were planted in the central patio. Over one hundred governors lived here who were Spanish, Indian, Mexican and American. The Palace of the Governors is the oldest occupied public building in the United States.
Today, the Palace is a National Historic Landmark featuring four hundred years of history including the Santa Fe Trail, New Mexico and the region. In 2009, a 96,000 square-foot building became the state’s newest museum next door to the state’s oldest museum.