El Rancho de las Golondrinas translates as “The Ranch of the Swallows”. It was a stopping place on the El Camino Real from Santa Fe to Mexico City. Many merchants that traveled the Santa Fe Trail from Missouri continued on down the El Camino Real, which means “The Royal Road.” Miguel Vega y Coca purchased this property around 1710. This family was connected to the Baca family through marriage. Felipe Baca was a Santa Fe Trail trader who owned a nice home on the trail in Trinidad, Colorado. This ranch is mentioned in diaries and business records oft en as it was either the first stop after leaving Santa Fe, or the last stop before reaching Santa Fe, if you were coming from Mexico City. The property was purchased in 1932 by the Curtin-Paloheimo family with the hopes of keeping the history of the 200-acre ranch alive for future generations. Buildings were restored, and some moved in from other sites to recreate a living, working, historically accurate ranch.